Friday, January 18, 2013

A new thing for a new year

Hi there everyone ...

Janet and I have been getting into our crocheting since I was up there for a visit. So this year, our blog will be about the projects we are doing, rather than a picture a day.  Our brother, Mike, often times creates bird houses, grilling items and other cool things in his workshop, so he can post that type of stuff to share with us.

When the flowers start growing, we can include some garden shots because my sister and brother both have gorgeous yards. Mine is a work in progress, but I get started earlier because of living in Texas.

So ... I will start us off with some of the projects I've been doing since my sister taught me to crochet a basic scarf this past December.

Janet started me off with a basic chain and then a repeating SC pattern to make a square.   Our Dad taught her, but he could never teach me anything but a basic chain.  So, in a way, Dad taught me too because he taught her. :)  

Here is the first scarf I made. The yarn was variegated and created the color pattern on its own. I have four skeins in this scarf and it is the first thing I've ever crocheted. It's a bit uneven, but so warm and so pretty. I used yarn from Walmart and since I didn't know if I was going to be continuing, I did bother to write down the yarn, size of hook or anything.  This is a basic double crochet back and forth and then I chained 10 and looped back into each opening for the ruffled ends.



This is where I decided to 'piece' two things together to make the edge look better and I didn't know what I was doing.  But you live and learn.

This is something I did right ... I love the way the ends turned out with the pretty ruffle along the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment